Picking the Best Dog GPS Tracker
One of the biggest struggles pet owners have is striking a balance between giving their pets the freedom to move around and explore, while at the same time preventing them from wandering off and getting lost. Dogs are not too different from babies. Against your fears and impulses, you have to control yourself from coddling your dog. For the dog to have a full and happy life, you need to give them the freedom to frolic, run around and indulge their curiosities.
Dogs are loyal creatures but at the same time, they need space and like to explore things. As a pet owner, you cannot keep your dog captive at home just because you’re scared they may wander too far off or get lost. For a dog to truly be happy and healthy, they need to be able to move around. Exploring their surroundings also keeps them sharp and helps their cognitive senses to develop. No one wants a bored dog, they deserve to live their best lives.
If you’re in a hurry and you want to know our top pick for the best dog gps tracker, here it is:
- SUBSCRIPTION PLAN NEEDED - Starting at only £ 3.75 / month (when 2-years plan paid upfront) with...
- LIVE TRACKING and LOCATION HISTORY - Pinpoint the real-time location of your furry friend when it...
- VIRTUAL FENCE - Define a safe area and get an instant notification if your pet leaves the area; Dog...
With the modern technology of communication and connectivity, it is possible now for you to give your pets the freedom to move around while also keeping tabs on where they are. The following are our top picks for the best gps dog trackers:
In addition to giving you real-time tracking and letting you know the whereabouts of your pets, there are several features that these trackers can offer. Some of the GPS trackers are also useful for activity monitoring. This is also useful for keeping senior dogs active as you can track steps, see how many calories your pet has burnt in a day, how many active hours and rest hours they’ve had, etc.
The following are reviews of the best dog GPS trackers in the UK. Each product mentioned below will further be expanded upon with specifications, advantages and disadvantages for all.
The Tractive GPS Dog Tracker is a handy and accurate location tracker that boasts of unlimited range. It is a tracker one can use on cats, dogs, as well as horses, so you know that’s a powerful tracker with immense sensory agility. It offers real-time feedback and live tracking which makes it very useful if you have a restless pet who likes to go looking for mischief.
There may sometimes be a lag in the notifications, but this is because of the nature of the GPS technology and not a fault with the tracker per se. The information provided by the tracker, however, is usually quite close to accurate. The following are some of the features and specifications of the product, along with its pros and cons.
- The GPS tracker offers live tracking and location history which allows you to keep tabs on your pet at all times.
- You can set a ‘virtual fence’, which is a safe area outside which your pet should not venture. Should they exit the area, the tracker will notify you so you can take immediate action.
- The GPS tracker works in over 150 countries and can be navigated through the free Android and iOS app.
- The tracker can be recharged in only two hours and has a decent battery life of 2-5 days.
- The tracker is lactose-free which makes it inclusive not only for a pet who may be lactose-intolerant but also for an owner who may be allergic to lactose and needs to handle the tracker.
- The clip design requires some work as it tends to come off too easily.
- The tracker requires a paid subscription plan.
This tracker was our favourite of the bunch and it’s very reasonably priced at Price not available for how it performs so it comes highly recommended from us!
The Pawfit 2 Dog GPS Tracker comes with an embedded SIM card. This a great tracker and activity monitor for dogs and large cats. It also has IP68 waterproof capability. The device is supported by a user-friendly app that is compatible with Android 5.0 or later and iOS 9.0 or later. This is also a useful tracker for activity monitoring so you can keep even senior pets active and mobile. Like the previous tracker, this one too allows you to set a customised safety zone so you get a notification in case your pet moves outside that area. It would be advisable to set a buffer zone between what you consider safe and what is too far for your pet, so the tracker can notify you when the pet is in the buffer zone. This gives you some time to react and bring your pet back to safety. The following are some of the specifications, pros and cons of the product:
- The tracker comes with embedded SIM coverage in both Europe and North America, which gives you wide use. The information the tracker gives you, therefore, uses GPS, Wi-Fi and cellular technology.
- You can monitor your pet’s movements and activity such as steps, distance covered, calories burned, etc.
- The tracker also sends you alerts if the temperature around your pet is abnormal, if the tracker is removed from the collar or if your pet goes beyond the customised safety zone.
- In case your pet wanders off, anyone who presses the power button will be able to hear your pet’s ID and can safely see them back home.
- The device is waterproof up to 3 metres and is also dustproof, allowing your pet to be active without damaging the tracker.
- The manufacturers claim a 6-day battery life, though customers find this to be false. It needs frequent recharging.
- The rubber bracket is not of great quality and the tracker is at a danger of falling off. Some customers had to add extra reinforcement to keep the tracker in place.
The Weenect Dogs 2 tracker is one of the smallest GPS trackers and is very convenient to use. If you have a small breed like a Chihuahua or a Poodle, this is a great tracker as your pooch will also not feel burdened by the weight of a large tracker. But while this is a small tracker, it does not have a distance limit and gives you information regarding a wide area. You can simply navigate the tracker on your phone and track your dog no matter where you are in Europe. You can also enjoy unlimited tracking with this device. The GPS tracker also comes with a SIM card which gives the pet owner even more accurate information. The following are some of the specifications, pros and cons of the product:
- The GPS tracker does not have a distance limit which allows you to track your dog anywhere in Europe.
- The device also gives real-time GPS tracking which lets you know up to one position every 10 seconds.
- You can also use the device to train your dog by making it ring for the mealtime. Your dog will then associate the sound of the ring with a meal and will know it is time to go home.
- The battery recharges in two hours and lasts up to three days with ease.
- Since the device is embedded with a SIM card, it requires a subscription fee. While the fee is not particularly high, a one-time payment is preferred by most people.
- The device can be a little bulky despite claims of being the smallest GPS for dogs.
The Petfon Dogs Pets GPS tracker is a real-time tracking device that comes with an anti-lost monitor and smart finder. The tracker is easy to use, portable and rainproof. It can be navigated easily by using the mobile app. While most devices require a subscription, this device does not need a monthly fee. It gives information at all times, even without cellular coverage. The following are some of the specifications, pros and cons of the device:
- The tracker is easy to use, portable, rainproof and dustproof. It allows your pet to be active without any limitations.
- The device works even in areas without cellular coverage, such as a forest, mountains, etc. The tracker uses GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and long-distance transmission to give the most accurate information.
- It has some great features such as custom voice, multi-colour alarm, geofence, etc. The colourful lights are also useful for spotting your pet in a dimly lit area.
- The device offers long-distance tracking and offers very healthy battery life for regular use.
- The device is not meant to be used for remote monitoring or indoor tracking. You need to be outdoors as well if your pet is outside or the GPS connection will be unstable.
- The device is rainproof, however, it is not waterproof. If your pet decides to plunge into a lake, the device will be damaged.
The PETF Pet GPS Tracker is another great product that does not require any monthly fee and provides accurate real-time tracking. It also functions as an activity monitor and is useful for keeping even senior dogs active. It has one controller and three trackers, which allows you to track three dogs at the same time.
The device is easy to use and offers convenient long-distance tracking. The device is also rainproof and has a long standby time. The following are some of the specifications, pros and cons of the device:
- The GPS tracker comes with one controller, three trackers and two charging boxes. The set up allows you to track three dogs at once.
- The device offers real-time tracking without any monthly fee. It uses GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and long-distance wireless technology to offer accurate information.
- The device is lightweight, durable and waterproof that allows your pet to be active without worrying you that the device may get damaged.
- It has several features such as geofencing, customizable voice command, multicolour alerts, etc. There are also colourful lights which allow you to spot your pet in a dimly lit area.
- This is not a device suitable for indoor tracking or remote monitoring. There cannot be too much distance between the controller and the device.
- It can sometimes get a little confusing if you are using the device to track multiple dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
GPS tracking for pets is something people are still getting used to. Naturally, there are going to be questions about something that is new. The following are some of the frequently asked questions about GPS trackers for dogs.
Does rainproof mean the dog can go into the lake?
No, rainproof does not mean the device is waterproof. Even if the device is said to be waterproof, it is unlikely it can take water more than 3 m deep.
Can these devices be used to locate pets indoors?
If the device is not meant for indoor tracking or remote monitoring, it will be clearly stated by the manufacturers. In most cases, it is best suited for locating your pet outdoors.
Do trackers give information about the distance covered when out on a walk?
Unless the tracker also states that it has activity monitoring technology, this will not be the case. A simple GPS tracker will only give you the location of your pet. Any other feature is a bonus.
Can the tracker be connected to two phones?
In most cases, the tracker can be connected to any phone that has the app downloaded. If the pet has two owners, both can download the app on their phone to access the tracker.
The GPS trackers that have been reviewed above are some of the best in the UK. Many of the trackers offer an unlimited range and can be used in over 100 countries. While some trackers can be used anywhere in Europe, others can also be used in North America. But while all the devices that have been reviewed above have some great plus points, there is one that certainly stands out.
The Tractive GPS Dog Tracker is a device that offers some of the most accurate information. It is also a tracker that can be used on your pet dog, cat as well as horses and offers an unlimited range. If you have a restless pet, whether a small dog or an adventurous horse, this is a great tracking device. Though there can be some lag in the notifications, the information provided is usually accurate. You can also set a ‘virtual fence’ beyond which is unsafe for your pet to venture into. It also has a decent battery life and it can last you for up to five days on a full charge.
This is not to say that the other devices are not worthy of consideration. Each of them has something unique to offer and can make useful trackers for the pets. Most of the devices that have been reviewed above allow you to set safety zones and many of them also come with activity trackers. But the Tractive GPS dog tracker is certainly a product that has a few things more to offer and put any pet owner’s anxieties to rest. Buy the Tractive GPS Tracker using the button below.