‘Scooping the poop’ is a part of everyday life for the average dog owner! However, did you know that the average poop bags you already use are likely to head straight to landfill? Therefore, mindful dog owners are investing more and more in the best sustainable poop bags on the market. These poop bags are biodegradable and will therefore leave no trace on the planet!
Going ‘green’ when walking your dog doesn’t have to be a chore. We’ve rounded up six of the best eco-friendly poop bag options available for you to buy online right now – and we’ll also take you through what you need to know about greener poop bags, too.
Why use eco-friendly poop bags?
Millions of us are worried about the direction our environment is heading in. Plastic keeps choking our oceans and building up landfill that takes years to degrade fully. As dog owners, we’re also likely to use more plastic than we imagine, day in, day out. A prime cause of plastic waste emanating from dog lovers is – of course – poop bags.
Poop bags made from 100% plastic are – shockingly – unlikely to degrade for centuries. That’s going to lead to toxins releasing into the atmosphere – and what’s more, if rubbish doesn’t degrade, it just stacks up and up.
However, as responsible dog owners, we must always do our bit to scoop the poop! That means finding poop bags that are easy to pull out at short notice while walking our pups. Simply by switching to a sustainably-sourced or lower-plastic poop bag, you’re already giving a little bit back to the planet.
What should I look for in sustainable poop bags?
Taking a quick look online, you’ll find there are plenty of compostable poop bag brands out there – so, which is likely to be best for your pooch’s needs?
Firstly, look for poop bag products that are certified under EN 13432 standards. This European regulation confirms items have passed tests to confirm safe compostability. At least 90% of the material used in poop bags manufactured to these standards will biodegrade within six months of disposal.
Then, consider comfort and usability! There’s a misconception that sustainable dog poop bags are always flimsy and leak regularly. This isn’t always the case – the bags we’ve reviewed above, for example, are large enough to cater to most dogs on the move, and are remarkably strong.
Finally, be sure to look for bags that are quick and easy to remove at any time. Many biodegradable poop bags will fit standard doggy dispensers. What’s more, poop bags with tie handles will be easier to bag up and throw away when you find a bin. It’s also worth reading into what verified buyers say about ease of tearing – as the last thing you’ll need is a poop bag that won’t pull away quickly in a pinch.
The sustainable poop bag market is growing all the time – so, make a point of joining the revolution! Take our tips in mind, and check out our top picks if you’re looking to make a change.
What is the difference between biodegradable and compostable?
The terms “biodegradable” and “compostable” are often used interchangeably, but they actually refer to two different processes. Biodegradable materials can be broken down by microbes into simpler organic matter. This process occurs naturally and does not require special conditions or treatment. Compostable materials, on the other hand, can be broken down into compost, a nutrient-rich soil amendment. To compost materials, they must be placed in a composting environment where they will be exposed to heat, moisture, and oxygen. These conditions accelerate the decomposition process, allowing the material to break down into usable compost within a matter of weeks or months.
While both biodegradable and compostable materials eventually break down into simpler organic matter, only compostable materials can be used to improve soil health. As a result, it is important to choose the right type of material for your needs. If you want to reduce your impact on the environment, look for biodegradable products. If you want to improve your garden’s soil quality, choose compostable materials.
Well, after much research and review, here are our top picks when it comes to the best sustainable doggy poop bags in the UK. Please note, all prices were accurate at the time of research and writing.
1. Greener Walker Poo Bags
- Keep Your Hands Safe: Our poo bags are 100% leak-proof and extra thick, never worry about your hands...
- Super Value Pack: 36 rolls and 15 bags per roll, total 540 bags can supply up to 9 months(2 bags per...
- About Measures: Bag's size 33x23 cm, fits all size of dogs and each roll fits standard-size leash...
Greener Walker’s stack of eco-friendly poop bags aims to make picking up after your pooch that little bit less wasteful. Boasting a collection of 540 bags per box, thousands of happy dog walkers highly rate this bumper selection. That’s 36 rolls, with 15 conveniently-sized bags on each.
What we really like about these poop bags is that they’re a great size – 13×9 inches – and they’re nice and thick. This isn’t always a guarantee with biodegradable baggies, and the fact they are made with corn starch means they won’t choke up landfill like the standard alternative.
Greener Walker advises that this batch of bags should last for up to seven months. However, that entirely depends on the size of your dog! Take that with a pinch of salt, but otherwise, this is a great value option that you won’t have to feel bad about throwing away.
- Great value, lots of bags for walks for months to come
- Made from eco-friendly cornstarch
- Nice and thick for ease of picking and carrying
- Will fit the vast majority of lead dispensers
- No confirmation of EN 13432 certification
2. Pet N Pet Compostable Poo Bags
- 🐶BAGS FOR HAPPY TAILS: Say goodbye to plastic doggy bags with these compostable alternatives!...
- 💚UPGRADE YOUR PUP’S POTTY TIME: Crafted from plant-based materials, these compostable dog poop...
- 🐾GRAB, TEAR, GO!: Detaching poop bag on-the-go made it easy! PET N PET's serrated sticker and...
Pet N Pet’s compostable poop bags are certified to EN 13432, which means they’re guaranteed to start degrading after six months of use. That’s a huge weight off your mind!
This set retails at roughly 10p per poop bag (based on price at writing), with 120 available per roll. The standard set available for purchase provides eight separate rolls, which should keep you and Rover running for a while to come.
These poop bags are brilliantly leak-proof and are a generous size, meaning if you’ve got a particularly massive mutt, you’re easily covered. They’re unscented and arrive with tie handles, making it easier for you to scoop up, bag up and throw away without any guilt.
You’ll also be able to fit these poop bags into most lead-fitted dispensers, meaning it’s a great choice if you’re looking for a quick refill every now and again.
- Certified to biodegrade quickly
- Resistant against leaks
- Easy to fit with most dispensers
- Nice and simple to tie up and throw away
- Its packaging may contain plastic
- Labelling on the bags can lead to inconvenient tears
3. ANWA 100% Compostable Biodegradable Dog Poop Bags
- CERTIFIED BIODEGRADABLE POOP BAGS. EN13432 certified compostable poop bags. Not to be confused with...
- DOG POOP BAGS ROLLS. ANWA poop bags for dogs come in handy rolls of 15 bags. Easy to tear...
- SIZE MATTERS. Our corn starch dog poo bags are 33cm x 23cm (13 inches x 8.6 inches).
ANWA’s highly-rated poop bags provide dog owners with another cornstarch-based option when walking out and about. Available in 120 and 240 bag rolls, you’re likely to pay just under 8p per bag – that’s fantastic value! These bags are also fully certified to EN 13432, meaning you can rest easy when throwing dog mess away.
We love the fact these bags are carefully perforated for ease of tearing, and at 33x23cm, they’re a reasonable size for most poop-scooping demands. The packaging is a nice extra touch – it’s made from recycled paper, and the ink printed on the poop bags themselves is water-based. That’s going the extra mile to protect the planet.
ANWA’s bags have gained a popular following online as they are provably biodegradable. Sadly, some brands may be less scrupled when it comes to telling the truth!
- Very easy to tear off and tie up
- Fully certified to EN 13432 standards
- Probably biodegradable
- Nice and large, will suit most dog owners
- Even the packaging is eco-friendly
- Some buyers note that there are cheaper options elsewhere
- May be a little thin for some pet owners
4. TSP Premium Poop Bags
- Excellent biodegradation: OK Compost HOME certified (tested at 20 - 30 °C) which allows a...
- Extra thick, extra large: TSP biodegradable waste bags have a thickness of 18 microns, extra opaque)...
- Plant based: TSP Biodegradeable Poop Bags are made with 30% renewable ressources (corn starch), the...
The Sustainable People is a fantastic brand that provides all kinds of eco-friendly pet products through its Amazon store – and their premium poop bags happen to be their main highlight. These poop bags are provably compostable and are super-large – great for dogs that love making lots of mess! You can buy these bags in packs of 18 rolls, totalling 270 bags per purchase.
The ‘premium’ in the name lends itself to the fabulous thickness of the material, too. You’ll have no problems with leaks or rips with these poop bags. However, what sets these bags apart from the pack is that they are 30% sustainable products. TSP themselves state that ‘true’ 100% corn starch poop bags are almost impossible to manufacture – encouraging dog owners to look more carefully at their choices.
However, TSP’s bags arrive in eco-friendly packaging, and the remaining 70% of their bag composition has an ‘accessible’ chemical structure. Therefore, they claim their bags will break down easier than full-plastic alternatives.
- Super-large and super-thick poop bags
- Arrives in sustainable packaging
- Highly leak-proof
- Made from 30% sustainable material
- Not 100% sustainable – but the brand explains why
- No tie handles
5. BIOOK 100% Biodegradable Dog Poo Bags
- 🏆CERTIFIED COMPOSTABLE IN U.S & EUROPE: Certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI)...
- 🌱HIGHEST PLANT-BASED CONTENT: BIOOK compostable dog poop bags are made from high-quality PLA+PBAT...
- 💪EASY DETACH & THICKNESS: 100% mess-free leakproof guarantee! Premium material & thickened...
BIOOK’s certified compostable poop bags arrive in packs of 150 or 360, at a price of around 6.5p per bag – if you choose the larger pack. That’s fantastic value, and what’s more, these bags really do hold up well when it comes to ‘heavy lifting’!
These poop bags will easily fit into your current poop bag dispenser and are easy to pull out and tear off. They’re made with a degradable polymer and are completely free from polyethene, too. BIOOK has ensured that these bags are certified safe to biodegrade under EN 13432 and ASTM D6400 regulations, meaning they’re internationally recognised as eco-friendly!
BIOOK’s poop bags are some of the best quality eco-friendly options we’ve tried, and they seem to go down well with other dog owners, too.
- Fantastic value per bag
- Certified as biodegradable
- Very strong and reliable
- Easy to tear and bundle
- May be a little too transparent for some owners
6. Beco Home Compostable Poop Bags
- BIG & STRONG - Measuring 33 x 22cm, these dog poo bags are extra long and thick to protect your...
- BOX DISPENSER - Convenient keep-at-home box, simply pull the bags out one by one as needed. With...
- HOME COMPOSTABLE - These dog poo bags are made from cornstarch and are certified home compostable &...
Beco Home Compostable Poop Bags are the perfect way to dispose of your dog’s waste while being eco-friendly. These bags are made from cornstarch and are certified home compostable & biodegradable, making them a great choice for those who want to reduce their environmental impact. The handles make it easy to tie and go, and every roll of poo bags comes on a recycled and recyclable cardboard core, boxed in equally recyclable card packaging.
The bas are unscented and, most importantly, are certified to be home compostable and biodegradable. Beco states that the compost from the bags (with the little present inside) should only be used on garden plants, and not on plants that will be used for consumption. Whether it’s human or dog poo, one most always be careful with the risk of bacterial contamination. Typically home compost piles do not reach the temperatures needed to kill off all the germs, so best to be careful.
Beco’s focus on sustainability means that they also offer another recycled poop bags which are made from 40% post-consumer recycled material. While those bags aren’t compostable or biodegradable, they do not use virgin plastic, thereby greatly reducing the impact from producing poop bags.
- Certified to multiple compostability and biodegradability standards: OK Compost TUV Home S0329, ASTM 6400 and EN13432 certified
- Handles make it easy to tie off the bag
- Bags are large and sturdy
- May tear when taking off the roll, so best to be careful
- Contents may be slightly visible
Are dog poop bags biodegradable?
Unless the bag is explicitly marked as being biodegradable or compostable, chances are your regular plastic bag will not decompose for centuries. Even in bags marked as biodegradable, it is important that they are certified to standards like EN 13432, which require that at least 90% of the material used to make the bag will degrade within 6 months.